Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Some Children Are More Difficult Than Others

There are stories that are gifts. When I wrote "Out Of All Them Bright Stars," the story that won my first Nebula, I put the words down as fast as they came to me and changed almost nothing. Other stories, however....
The "China story," most of which takes place in San Diego, is a mess. It's a physical mess because some of it is in longhand, some typed, and some in cryptic notations like "Renata and two-slit experiments," which are supposed to remind me of whole scenes as yet unwritten. The story will apparently be quite long. Also, I realized just two days ago that there is a need to work in solar flares, currently not present in any scene. I will need them later. And I'm still not sure of the ending. None of this is good. I know writers -- Connie Willis is one -- who work from detailed outlines, but I have never been able to do this. I write like a man dashing past a graveyard at night: Go as fast as you can and don't look back.
And speaking of China -- I finally finished the course of malaria prophylactic pills I was told by Passport Health Clinic to take before I left the US. It turns out there was no malaria in Chengdu, but if it shows up in upstate New York, I'm covered.


tcastleb said...

Hi. Good to see your blog--I followed a couple people's links here. But I have to admit I'm intrigued by this story because I've been to China (Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong) and I live in San Diego. So, mostly, if you need any San Diego details (including pics,) holler. I'm Clarion '05, btw.

Nancy Kress said...

Thanks! I might need San Diego help, yes.

Ruhan Zhao said...

Nancy, if you need any help about China, feel free to ask me.