Friday, February 15, 2008

Theme Anthologies

I have written for a lot of theme anthologies, but I always find it difficult. Somehow, my mind functions better when I can choose everything about the story for myself rather than having some aspects of it pre-chosen. Also, I seem to do my best work -- or what I consider my best work -- other than when I write for theme anthologies. So why do I do it?

Sometimes because I feel flattered at having been asked. Sometimes because the theme sounds intriguing and I want to try the setting or idea or whatever the theme is. Sometimes because I already have an idea that sort of fits what's being proposed. Sometimes because, like Everest, the thing is there.

Now that my novella is finished, my next proect is a story for a theme anthology. R-Spec, the Rochester Speculative Fiction Fans, is going to publish an anthology called The North Shore: 2034. All the stories will take place in 2034 in Rochester, New York, which was founded in 1834. Since I've lived in Rochester most of my life, I ought to be able to set a credible story here twenty-six years from now -- I hope. Maybe. God willing and the creek don't rise. All I know so far is that it will involve genetic engineering (surprise, surprise). Let's hope I can make it work.

1 comment:

bluesman miike Lindner said...

"So why do I do it?" Aw, c'mon, Nancy! Why does =anyone= write, or compose, or paint, or...

WE HAVE TO! There's a nice aside in Heinlein's EXPANDED UNIVERSE. The Old Man (Young Man then) tells a veteran writer, "Well, Campbell bounced one, that's all for me. Got what I wanted: a little money in the bank. I never liked writing anyway." And the seasoned pro said, "Robert, you're hooked. Listen. You know retired military men, right?" "Sure." "Retired teachers? Retired cops?" "Yeah..." "You know any retired writers? No. You don't. THERE ARE NO RETIRED WRITERS, Robert! Writers who've stopped selling, sure. But they haven't stopped writing. Listen to me. Take another look at that yarn Campbell bounced. I know him. He wants some half-assed changes. Him or Kay. Do it. There are other markets." And RAH recollected, "I took that advice. Put a sheet in the typewriter. And I felt finer than I had in months!"

You start, get going, you can't stop, Nancy. Creative inertia, yez moight even say. (But I wouldn't blame yez if yez didn't!)