Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beer

In three more days I leave Germany. I have eaten and drunk a lot of interesting things during my stay here, but not beer. I don't like beer. In a way it seems ridiculous to come to Germany and not drink beer, but the Germans aren't drinking as much of it, either.

Last year beer consumption, averaged among the German adult population, was down 2.2 liters, or 2%, from the previous year, according to the Brewers' Association. Half of that decline was in the last quarter of 2008. The previous fall had been attributed to many things: an ageing population, different tastes in alcohol among the young, the ban on smoking in bars. But the abrupt decline in just the last three months is due to the world-wide economic downturn.

Consumption is expected to fall by 2% a year, causing trouble for German breweries. Now I feel guilty that I haven't been doing my part. Good thing this datum doesn't show up on my passport. I might never be allowed to return.

4 comments:

John Nicholas said...

You should try it while still there. I never liked beer until I had it in an old pub in England. Then something clicked. So try a classic german beer in a classic german setting.

I'm still mostly a red wine guy but I do like the occasional dark beer especially if it is a UK style ale.

bluesman miike Lindner said...

To steal a line, beer is the greatest of all human inventions. The wheel was pretty good too, but doesn't go nearly as well with pizza.

God! Beer in Germany! Last time I was in the old country, 1981, I nearly drowned in it. (And I like lager considerable.) One Sunday morning, 8AM, going to church, my Aunt Anna pressed a bottle into my hand. After Mass, we all went to see Uncle Hannes. "Michael from America is here!" "Well, give him a beer, woman!" Cousin Karl and his wife pulled in. "Give Karl and Traudl and Michael a beer, woman!" The sun was almost reaching it noonday apex. And nothing would do but go to the forest for a Bavarian wurst-fest. "Michael from America is here!" "Well, get him a beer, husband!" And so it went, 'til the sun set. "Time to go to the brauhaus, Michael!" And so we went. "Erik! This is my sister's son from America!" "I was captured by the Americans in France. Thank God I was on the Western front! Have a beer, Michael!"

The best 2 weeks of my life.

bluesman miike Lindner said...

I should add, the night before I flew back to the Good Old USA, I was having a lager with Hans, my cousin, Onkel Hannes' son. We were somehow transported to 2097. And scanned the sky with Bundeswehr electronic binoculars, trying to spot the starship being built in orbit.

Mark said...

I've been busy with work (HOO-RAH!), so am now catching up on all my e-stuff.

After getting back into the valley I met some friends at 4 Peaks Brewing, had some Hop Knot, good bitter stuff (something like 65000 International Bitterness Units, oh yeah).

One thing I've learned is, the better the Bier, the less cold it has to be. The cheap stuff has to be served ice-cold so the taste buds are too paralyzed to taste how awfull it is.