Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Modern Communication

I have succumbed to the pressure to join Face Book. I even comment on it. However, so many people are detailing their every move ("Gone to the hardware store." "Back from the hardware store.") that it takes a lot of time to separate the wheat from the chaff. I may just forget the whole thing. Or do I lack patience?

Another form of modern communication: my story "The Flowers of Aulit Prison" is now being podcast, free, at http://www.starshipsofa.com/. This story won both a Nebula and a Sturgeon, so if you're interested, there it is.

An older form of communication: the SF con. Tomorrow I fly to Bellingham, Washington, to be Guest of Honor at Valhallacon. This used to be Viking Con, but that version of the gathering died and where do good Vikings go when they die? The con looks like fun. I have five hours of programming on Saturday, however, and so expect to end up exhausted, hoarse, and happy. Next blogs will come from Hall of Heroes.

8 comments:

Luke said...

I recommend you stay away from Twitter at all costs.

Tim of Angle said...

Facebook is for people who are convinced that they're more important than they actually are. Take whatever action you deem appropriate.

Jyoti Mishra said...

Facebook is great for organising / promoting events and keeping in touch with people in other countries. Apart from that... ummm...

David D. Levine said...

If someone is consistently uninteresting, you can hide their updates (there's a little gizmo that appears in the upper right of an update when you move your mouse over the update) without "unfriending" them. I use this feature a LOT.

Nancy Kress said...

Well, that's cool, David. Thank you!

TheOFloinn said...

Sarah Ruden comments elsewhere on "the antihierarchical Web style, in which fragments of whim replace sustained thinking". A nice phrase, I think.


"Information want to be free."
"You get what you pay for."

Mark said...

Facebook's biggest value for me was finding long lost friends. If you let yourself get sucked into the free games offered it's a huge time sink.

But if you do start playing the games, at least join my mafia in "Mafia Wars".

Term Papers said...

It’s a great post , you really are a good writer!

Term papers