Saturday, January 9, 2010

Flying

I am back in Seattle. It took 36 hours to accomplish this. The weather on the East Coast was so bad that flights kept getting canceled, or delayed past the point of making connections. Whole airports were filled with people stuck in cities they did not want to be in. On one of the planes I was supposed to take, the gate agent announced that ice had formed not only on the wings, which was expected, but "behind the engine," which apparently was not. More de-icing machines were sent for. Mechanics were sent for. It was impossible to rebook through Chicago. The temperature outside was ten degrees Fahrenheit. Snow fell, and still continues to fall, on the just and the unjust and the merely disgruntled.

This is the weekend my real estate agent is holding an open house to market my house.

I can't imagine that anyone will show up. If they do, I can't imagine them wishing to purchase a house located in what looks like the Siberian tundra. But, on the other hand, I bought the house in January seven years ago. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

5 comments:

Jamie Kress said...

Sorry the trip was so difficult.

If it makes you feel better it finally stopped snowing today, and it's actually rather pretty outside.

Lou said...

Welcome home!

Kendall said...

On the plus side, realtors tell me that open houses don't sell (that house). It's just something for neighbors, the seller expects, etc. and houses really sell more via networking. No idea if that's true, but...

...it was true in our case. We bought our first house from friends, but the second house: We went to an open house and it wasn't right for us, but we talked about what we wanted different, as we walked around. The realtor listened to our conversation and contacted us a few weeks later with a house that WAS right for us, and we bought it. (shrug)

Mark said...

The weather could give the prospects an idea of how the house stands up to snow, cold, etc.
:-/

bluesman miike Lindner said...

Mark, I lived for 8 years in Brockport, right next to Rochester. Believe me, houses there =have= to be sturdy against cruel frost and snow.

I'm not saying Brockport winters were cold. But they were pretty damn nippy.