Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Serendipity

Sometimes I will go for months without thinking much about a particular object or phenomenon or person. Then I will get interested in it for some reason, and suddenly I'm seeing it everywhere. Either I have just re-tuned my perception filters, or the universe has a way of supplying information and ideas right when we think we need them.

Right now it's dogs. I have a dog, but I have had a dog for four years now. All at once everywhere I go there are literary dogs. Kij Johnson wrote a wonderful story in Ellen Datlow's anthology COYOTE ROAD, all about the evolution of dogs. Ellen urges me at World Fantasy Con, in the strongest possible terms, to read this story, so I do. The galleys for my 2008 novel from Tachyon, DOGS, turn up in my mailbox. Mike Resnick informs me that my story for Jim Baen's Universe, called "Laws of Survival" but mostly about dogs, will be up on the Baen website in December. The current issue of THE NEW YORKER arrives and the fiction is a story by Roddy Doyle called "The Dog." The TIMES crossword puzzle this morning has a clue "Hollywood dog" (ASTA). I am thinking about a YA science fiction novel, and dogs keep scampering through my mind.

What message am I being sent here? And would it work if I got interested in aardvarks?

4 comments:

none said...

When we bought a red car, we discovered there were red cars everywhere. Now we have a silver car.

Have you ever noticed how the world is full of silver cars?

:)

Mr. JM said...

Sometimes I will go for months without thinking much about a particular object or phenomenon or person. Then I will get interested in it for some reason, and suddenly I'm seeing it everywhere. Either I have just re-tuned my perception filters, or the universe has a way of supplying information and ideas right when we think we need them.

I'm exactly the same way! I thought I was the only one. :)

Sincerely,
John-Mark

Carmen Webster Buxton said...

The Germans probably have a word for it. But you can't count Asta, because he is always in crosswords, just like emu and Edsel.

bluesman miike Lindner said...

Haw! Don't God love fun!

December 1996, I was chilling my gums and watching a game at Marty O'Briens' Irish Pub. Who strolls in but my bandmate Ken Guarino? And he asked, "Mike, what music would you most like to see tonight?" Pondered deeply, rejected the obvious, said, "Well, hmmm... I guess...I don't know...Jimmy Webb." He grinned, opened up the paper, "Tonight at the Bottom Line--Jimmy Webb"

Didn't we laugh like sons of bitches? And yeah, it was a great show. Jimmy laughed too when I told him the story after hours. "Hey, you guys were meant to be here tonight!"