Friday, February 19, 2010

Nebula Awards

The Nebula ballot was officially announced this morning, and I'm pleased to be on it for my novella about dwarfism, genetic engineering, empathy, and making movies: "Act One." I also discovered that the Nebulas have their own logo, which I did not realize:


I don't know who designed this, but it's handsome. The Nebulas are being held in Florida this year and since I will be in Seattle -- the farthest away possible unless I decide to live in Nome -- I don't think I'll be attending. Meanwhile, the Hugo balloting goes on, and Starship Sofa has asked me to remind all you nominators that podcasts are eligible in the "Media" category -- another thing I did not realize.

Here is the full Nebula ballot, and let the games begin:

Short story:

"Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela," Saladin Ahmed (Clockwork Phoenix 2, Norilana Press, Jul09)

"I Remember the Future," Michael A. Burstein (I Remember the Future, Apex Press, Nov08)

"Non-Zero Probabilities," N. K. Jemisin (Clarkesworld, Nov09)"Spar," Kij Johnson (Clarkesworld, Oct09)

"Going Deep," James Patrick Kelly (Asimov's Science Fiction, Jun09)

"Bridesicle," Will McIntosh (Asimov's Science Fiction, Jan09)

Novelette

"The Gambler," Paolo Bacigalupi (Fast Forward 2, Pyr Books, Oct08)

"Vinegar Peace, or the Wrong-Way Used-Adult Orphanage," Michael Bishop (Asimov's Science Fiction, Jul08)

"I Needs Must Part, The Policeman Said," Richard Bowes (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Dec09)

"Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast," Eugie Foster (Apex Online, Nov09)

"Divining Light," Ted Kosmatka (Asimov's Science Fiction, Aug08)

"A Memory of Wind," Rachel Swirsky (Tor.com, Nov09)

Novella

The Women of Nell Gwynne's, Kage Baker (Subterranean Press, Jun09)

"Arkfall," Carolyn Ives Gilman (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Sep09)

"Act One," Nancy Kress (Asimov's Science Fiction, Mar09)

Shambling Towards Hiroshima, James Morrow (Tachyon, Feb09)

"Sublimation Angels," Jason Sanford (Interzone, Nov09)

The God Engines, John Scalzi (Subterranean Press, Dec09)

Novel

The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Nightshade, Sep09)

The Love We Share Without Knowing, Christopher Barzak (Bantam, Nov08)

Flesh and Fire, Laura Anne Gilman (Pocket, Oct09)

The City & The City, China MiƩville (Del Rey, May09)

Boneshaker, Cherie Priest (Tor, Sep09)Finch,

Finch, Jeff VanderMeer (Underland Press, Oct09)


3 comments:

Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Congratulations, Nancy!

Michael Capobianco commissioned it during his most recent term as President but I don't know who created the art.

Lou said...

Yes, I second the congratulations!

Well done.

Heck, if you're not going...I'M not going! *stamps foot*

I grew up in Florida...been there...etc.

Lou

skyreiter said...

Congrats and good luck on the Nebulous nomination, but it pains me that the noble emblem, attractive as it is, still does not picture a nebula!