Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pancakes and Rainforests

Every month has its share of federally approved commemoration days, but March seems especially blessed. And many of them focus on food. A partial calendar:

March 4, today, is National Poundcake Day. Are you planning to eat any poundcake?
March 6 is Frozen Food Day.
March 14 is National Potato Chip Day -- your bag of Doritos will be guilt-free because
it's a patriotic duty.
March 25 is Waffle Day, even though this was the day that not waffles but pancakes
were first made in New York City in 1882.
And, my personal favorite: March 28 is "Something on a Stick Day." I thought of a lot
of bad jokes to put here, but I'll refrain.

March is also the month that Patrick Swenson runs the Rainforest Writers' Retreat on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. This takes place at a resort in the only temperate rainforest in the world. I will be flying there tomorrow to lecture, write, and retreat. This place is so isolated that there is no Internet, cell phone, or TV coverage, so I will have to blog about the experience next week, when I return to civilization. I've packed my hiking boots and camera. Now if I just had an idea for a story I wanted to write while I was there...

1 comment:

Frank Böhmert said...

Now if I just had an idea for a story I wanted to write while I was there...

Well you seemed inspired by the "Something On A Stick" bit :-)