Friday, February 24, 2012

Stories and Amazon

It has been a very long time since I blogged; I'd be surprised if any of you are still checking this site. The reason is and is not a good one: I was slammed with work. This is my own fault, having agreed to too many anthology, teaching, and blurbing invitations. Must learn to say no!

At any rate, two pieces of story news, one good and one not. The good news: The story I posted about in the last few blogs is finished, and accepted (more details when the editor says I may). It includes two kinds of plausible, near-future science, space travel and neurology. The first was not hard for me since I read about it all the time; the second was more difficult. It involved a lot of rewriting. But I'm pleased with the result.

I am not, however, pleased with Amazon. And I have been such a faithful customer! Even use a Kindle! Buy a lot of books from them! But despite all this touching loyalty, Amazon has made another grab for market control, fighting with the distributor IPG. Amazon asked for a larger share of the price of books that IPG distributes. IPG said no. Amazon has thus pulled from its shelves the books IPG distributes. This may or may not end up being temporary, but among the affected publishers is Tachyon, which next month will bring out my stand-alone novella AFTER THE FALL, BEFORE THE FALL, DURING THE FALL. I am very fond of this story, and very disappointed in Amazon.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I still read your sporadic missives.

I know you are upset with Amazon right now so let's just pretend my question applies to ebooks in general.

On the Reddit AMA you did awhile back you mentioned Stinger being one a favorite of your own work.

Do you plan on making an eBook available in the future?

I'd love to read it.

Thanks, Nancy!

Robert said...

Feeds make you easy to follow in any case. Always a pleasure to see a new post--even if this one brings sad news. Your upcoming novella is eagerly awaited.
Robert

TheOFloinn said...

Amazon pulled that stunt with Tor a while back. They really need to make up their minds whether they are a book store, a distributor, or a publisher. As it is, they are trying to grab rights from each direction, wearing the persona that best suits each case.