Sunday, June 6, 2010

Taos Toolbox

For the next two weeks, I will be blogging from Taos Toolbox. This is an intensive, two-week seminar in writing SF, held at Ski Valley and run by Walter Jon Williams. This year I am the co-instructor. The site is incredibly beautiful. Here is the view from the balcony of the ski lodge:


Walter Jon was here two weeks ago, and says that then this mountainside was covered with snow. But an abrupt turn in the weather skipped spring and brought Taos straight to summer.

Two attendees are already here; the rest arrive in shifts today, and class begins tomorrow. So far I am torn between wonder at the natural beauty and a wish that all this beauty was 3,000 feet lower. Ski Valley is 10,000 feet above sea level. I have altitude sickness, with all its unpleasant symptoms: light-headedness, nausea, and a screaming headache. So I am spending today acclimating, which consists mostly of drinking water, taking ibuprofen, and trying not to fall down stairs. Walter was wise to bring me here a day early. By tomorrow I will feel normal again -- won't I?

4 comments:

marcinko said...

Just been through this myself. Yes, you will feel better. Altitude sickness is like H1N1 + a general feeling of hopelessness, but get plenty of rest & you'll be fine in a day or 3.

Enjoy the workshop. I wish I could have made it!

bluesman miike Lindner said...

I'm sorry, Nancy.

No, you will never feel normal again.

But you knew the risks.

You took them gladly, when you signed up to be an sf writer.

Nancy Kress said...

LOL, Mike.

jfslenes said...

For those who visit after reading this, remember to drink lots of water and minimal alcohol. That usualy helps the altitude issue. Next best is to drop down a few feet for your night's rest and stay in the heart of Taos at Indian Hills Inn, Taos Plaza. Here's our blog - http://TalkAboutTaosTourism.blogspot.com